Sedona/Verde Valley Museums

CAMP VERDE

• Camp Verde Historical Society Museum, 435 S. Main St., Room 201, is in downtown Camp Verde. It displays exhibits about the early pioneering days of the town. The museum’s collection includes photographs, artwork and other printed material that touches on the many different groups who have called the area home, such as Native Americans, business owners, farmers, miners, mail riders, soldiers and town settlers. Though primarily dedicated to the preservation, reconstruction, restoration and administration of buildings and sites of historical significance in the area, the society houses archival materials going back to the 1860s and maintains a research library. Photos: 928-567-9660.
http://www.campverde.az.gov/community/vision-statement-2/historical-society-2/

• Fort Verde State Historic Park, 125 E. Hollamon St., Camp Verde, was an active primary military base during the Central Arizona Indian Wars. It became part of State Parks in 1970 and was added to the National Register of Historic Places a year later. Fort Verde was occupied by Gen. Crook’s scouts and U.S. Army troops starting in 1870. The installation was abandoned in April 1891. Today visitors can experience three historic house museums. The former Administration building houses the Visitor Center with interpretive exhibits and period artifacts. Phone: 928-567-3275
http://azstateparks.com/Parks/FOVE/

• Verde Valley Archaeology Center, 385 S. Main St., Camp Verde, preserves archaeological sites and collections, curates the collections locally, and makes them available for research and education. The center also develops partnerships with Native Americans, cultural groups and the communities it serves, and it fosters a deeper understanding of prehistory and Native American history in the Verde Valley through the science of archaeology and hosts workshops, seminars and a film festival. Phone: 928-567-0066
http://www.verdevalleyarchaeology.org/

CLARKDALE

• The Copper Art Museum, 849 Main St., Clarkdale, is located in the Old High School on Main Street across the street from Town Hall. The purpose of the museum is to display copper art made by man. It is all about what man did with copper, and it is not about mining or the industrial side of copper. The first floor is divided into five major categories: military; art and architecture; the cooking room; and the drinking room. The tour is self-directing, or guests may select to be accompanied by a docent. (928) 649-1858.
http://copperartmuseum.org

• Clarkdale Historical Society & Museum, 900 First North St., Clarkdale, collects and disseminates accurate information pertaining to the history of Clarkdale, and to protect and preserve this history and all related archives, artifacts and structures. It sits in what was once a clinic in a complex of other historic buildings that make up the center of the town’s government and many of its community activities. The museum is open seven days a week, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. or by appointment. Call (928) 649-1198.

• John Bell Railroad Museum, 330 N. Broadway Ave., Clarkdale, is located at the Verde Canyon Railroad depot in Clarkdale and is dedicated to John Bell, a long time Clarkdale resident and amateur historian. The museum displays artifacts and photographs relating to the railroad line and the excursion equipment. When Bell died in 1998, he left his extensive collection of railroad artifacts and photographs to the Verde Canyon Railroad. The collection, a mix of photographs and artifacts, chronicle the mighty railroads that played such a significant part in the growth of the Verde Valley. The museum is open 10 a.m.-5 p.m. every day the train runs. Admission is free. For information, call (800) 320-0718.

COTTONWOOD

• The Clemenceau Heritage Museum, 1 N. Willard, Cottonwood, operated by the Verde Historical Society, is appropriately housed in Cottonwood’s oldest school building. The schoolhouse is among the institutions that were part of Clemenceau, the smelter town that pre-dated the City of Cottonwood. Named for French Premier Georges Clemenceau, a good friend of Rawhide” Jimmy Douglas who built the town. The museum traces Verde Valley history and customs. It is open Wednesday from 9 a.m. until noon and Friday, Saturday and Sunday 11 a.m.-3 p.m. The museum is free, but accepts donations. (928) 634-2868
http://clemenceaumuseum.com

JEROME

• Jerome State Historic Park - Audrey Shaft Headframe Park, 100 Douglas Road, Jerome, celebrates the rich, colorful history of Jerome at the height of its copper mining boom during the last century, swelling the mountain town to 15,000 a population. The Museum, which describes the history of the area, is housed in the personal home of Rawhide Jimmy Douglas next to his Little Daisy Mine. Next to the museum is the Audrey Shaft and Headframe, a genuine mine shaft into that rich copper deposit into which visitors may peer. The Jerome Historical Society has preserved the headframe and illuminated the breathtaking view into the shaft. Visit for free. Phone: 928-634-5381.
http://azstateparks.com/Parks/JERO/index.html

• The Mine Museum and Gift Shop, 200 Main St., Jerome, are located across the street from the Connor Hotel. The Jerome Historical Society opened the museum and gift shop in the early 1950s. The museum includes displays presenting the history of Jerome’s past to its present. Items include a saloon display and miners’ equipment. The gift shop is important to the fundraising efforts of the Jerome Historical Society.Phone: (928) 634-5477.

• Gold King Mine and Ghost Town is one mile north of Jerome. It was once a lively settlement of about 300 people with a working goldmine. In those days the town’s name was Haynes because it was the Haynes Copper Co. that sunk the shaft looking for copper. Instead, the 1,200-foot shaft struck gold. It never produced great wealth from gold, but it did remain in operation for quite a few years. Heaps of collectibles – old fire trucks, a 1914 sawmill, blacksmith tools and antique cars – fill almost every corner of this property. Visitors especially enjoy the 80-year-old sawmill. Take State Route 89A into Jerome, turn at the fire station and follow the signs to the mine and ghost town entrance. Phone: 928-634-0053.
http://www.goldkingmineghosttown.com

SEDONA

• Sedona Heritage Museum, 735 Jordan Road, Sedona, is operated by the Sedona Historical Society, a nonprofit 501(c)(3) corporation. It is housed in the historic ranch buildings once owned by the pioneering Jordan family and now owned by the City of Sedona. The Historical Society preserves the lifestyles and works of community pioneers from 1876 to the present with special exhibits, living history programs and an extensive photo archive. See how the early settlers lived, worked a ranch and harvested apples. Phone: 928-282-7038.
http://sedonamuseum.org





Healthcare


Colleges/Universities


Outdoors


Golf Courses


Arts & Entertainment


Museums


Wines & Vineyards